Clay, ceramic, cast iron, steel and cordierite… There’s a lot of different types of pizza stones out there and while a quality stone will help you turn out professional quality pizzas, a regular stone will only leave you with burnt crust and undercooked cheese. To help you make an informed decision when buying a new pizza stone for your grill, we’ve done a thorough comparison of the best 4 grilling pizza stones that are currently available. Here, you’ll find a brief overview of these top 4 pizza stones for the grill along with a list of their pro’s and con’s and our final verdict.
But, before we dive in, what makes a good pizza stone ideal for use on the grill? Look for these key factors:
- Ability to withstand extreme temperatures – Regardless of what type of fuel you’re burning, an outdoor pizza oven or grill can get much hotter than your regular kitchen oven. Therefore, a pizza stone for grilling MUST be able to handle high heats without cracking.
- Durability – Even if you’re careful, outdoor cooking (especially when you’re asking your guests to help out), can be a little rough. Most regular pizza stones that seem strong are actually quite brittle and can easily be chipped or shattered when being transferred from one surface to another.
- Superior heat retention – If you’re grilling pizza over a wood-fired or charcoal bbq, you’ll benefit from a grill stone that readily picks up and holds heat so that your cooking times are less affected if the heat of your fire drops off.
The Big Green Egg Pizza Stone for the Grill
The Big Green Egg pizza stone is a high-quality ceramic grilling stone that claims to evenly distribute heat while pulling moisture away from the dough for an evenly cooked, crispy pizza. Although they don’t need to be used specifically on a Big Green Egg grill, they’re available in a range of sizes designed to fit all Eggs from the MiniMax Egg to the XX Large Egg.
When using the Big Green Egg pizza stone in a Big Green Egg, you do need to have the convEGGtor accessory as well. This allows the direct heat from the grill to be gently diffused to facilitate the indirect cooking that’s needed to thoroughly cook pizza on the grill without burning the crust.
Like all pizza stones, the Big Green Egg pizza stone can be used for more than just cooking pizza. It’s also marketed as being the ideal tool for grilling breads and desserts.
Pros of the Big Green Egg Pizza Stone
- Available in a range of sizes to suit all types of Big Green Eggs
- Capable of handling the high heats required to grill pizza
- When used with the Big Green Egg convEGGtor accessory, this bbq turns into a stone pizza oven where the radiant heat cooks from the top down as well
- Pizza is fast to cook, generally taking between 5-7 minutes at 480°F
- Regular users of the Big Green Egg pizza stone report that they’re highly durable and last years if cared for properly
- This stone is thick and heavy which allows for good heat retention for faster and more even cooking
Cons of the Big Green Egg Pizza Stone
- If being used in a Big Green Egg bbq, you must also have the convEGGtor accessory to create the indirect heat you’ll need to grill pizza on your stone
- You can only fit one appropriately sized Big Green Egg pizza stone into the Big Green Egg bbq at a time
- Many claim that the Big Green Egg uses a lot of charcoal when grilling a pizza
- The Big Green Egg pizza stone and convEGGtor must be left in the grill to cool down after cooking pizza at high temperatures
- The thickness and heaviness of this stone means that the Big Green Egg pizza stone does take longer than some to heat up
- Some report that this stone does crack if exposed to direct high heat
Our Verdict on the Big Green Egg Pizza Stone
Overall, the Big Green Egg pizza stone is a quality stone that’s suitable for grilling over indirect high heat. It’s strong and durable and we love that it’s available in a range of sizes to fit whatever type of Big Green Egg you have.
However, because this brand is so well-known and loved, you can expect to pay more than usual for the Big Green Egg pizza stone. Prices are generally 2-3 times higher than that of the Cast Elegance pizza stone although it’s not of higher quality.
The Weber Pizza Stone for the Grill
The Weber pizza stone is a cordierite stone that aims to efficiently absorb moisture from pizza dough to form a light and crispy crust. It’s designed to fit into Weber’s Gourmet BBQ System cooking grate so that it firmly stays in place while grilling. While this is a great idea, we’ve never personally had a problem with our pizza stones moving while grilling though.
Pros of the Weber Pizza Stone
- The cordierite made Weber pizza stone is designed to handle high temperatures of a grill
- It’s effective at transferring the heat for a crispy base
- The Weber pizza stone comes with a metal carry rack to make transporting it easy
- Available in 2 sizes to fit in a variety of grills
- Moderate price for a quality brand name
Cons of the Weber Pizza Stone
- Lightweight pizza stone that’s not durable enough to handle lots of use in an outdoor pizza oven or grill
- A slightly longer cooking time of between 7-8 minutes has been commonly reported
- Be careful if using the metal carry rack on the grill itself as it becomes very hot
- When used in conjunction with a Weber bbq, you do need a larger grill otherwise there won’t be enough space to physically move the Weber pizza stone away from the direct heat of the charcoal
- When used in conjunction with a Weber bbq, some claim that it’s difficult to get the air temperature above the stone hot enough to satisfactorily melt the cheese. Placing the majority of charcoal in a basket on top of the grill is a proposed solution for this problem but can result in less airy dough
- Reports of the Weber pizza stone cracking when exposed to direct, high heat
Our Verdict on the Weber Pizza Stone
We were a little disappointed at the strength and durability of the Weber pizza stone. Although it’s manufactured by a reputable brand, many reported that it isn’t great for frequent use on the grill at high heats.
The Pampered Chef Pizza Stone
The Pampered Chef pizza stone is a clay-made pizza stone that’s hand-finished into a one-of-a-kind piece. It offers built-in handles to make it easy to move, excellent heat retention for a crispy base and won’t retain the odor or flavor of other food that you’ve cooked on there.
However, the Pampered Chef pizza stone is NOT suitable for use on the grill! It’s limited to use in both conventional and convection ovens and will crack if placed under high temperatures.
Pros of the Pampered Chef Pizza Stone
- Available in both round and rectangular shapes so you can make whatever type of pizza you’d like
- Comes with a 3-year non-commercial guarantee
- All Pampered Chef pizza stones include a scraper to make cleaning it easy
- Doesn’t require preheating so may save time although cooking times are generally longer
- Can be used in the microwave which may be useful for fast reheating of leftovers
- Won’t retain the odor or flavor of previously cooked foods
- The clay based stone does absorb moisture quite well for a crispy pizza base
Cons of the Pampered Chef Pizza Stone
- The Pampered Chef pizza stone CANNOT be used in high heat settings including outdoor pizza ovens and on grills
- These clay-made pizza stones aren’t as strong or as durable as some other materials
- You will need to season your Pampered Chef pizza stone before use by cooking high-fat foods like cookies on it
- The inability to sufficiently preheat these stones increases cooking time
Our Verdict on the Pampered Chef Pizza Stone
If you know what you’re doing with the Pampered Chef pizza stone, you will be able to make nice pizzas on this stone, even if only in the oven.
However, because of the large number of reports of cracked and broken Pampered Chef pizza stones resulting from using it in higher heats, pre-heating without pizza on it and inconsistent cooling, we can’t recommend this pizza stone to anyone who is planning to use it frequently. In addition to this, it can’t be used on the grill or in an outdoor pizza oven which severely limits its usefulness to inside cooking and reheating frozen pizzas.
The Cast Elegance Pizza Stone
The Cast Elegance pizza stone is a hardy tool for making professional quality pizzas at home in your oven or on the grill. It’s made of thermarite which is a form of high-density cordierite that’s been specially formulated to offer superior strength, durability and thermal shock capabilities. Because of this, the Cast Elegance pizza stone is ideal for using on the grill or in an outdoor pizza oven where the temperature will be significantly higher than your indoor oven (although you can use it inside too).
During manufacturing, this stone has also been extensively tested to also ensure that sudden temperature changes don’t cause any sort of cracking, micro-fractures or shattering that can be a dangerous end to the life of your grill stone.
It also offers excellent heat retention and moisture absorbing capabilities for that crispy, yet soft, crust that everyone loves.
Pros of the Cast Elegance Pizza Stone
- The hefty thermarite-made Cast Elegance pizza stone has the required durability to cook pizza on the grill or an outdoor pizza oven
- It’s capable of withstanding the very high temperatures reached when cooking with gas, charcoal or wood WITHOUT cracking or breaking
- The Cast Elegance pizza stone offers superior thermal shock capability so you don’t need to worry about sudden temperature changes
- Efficiently absorbs moisture from pizza crust for a crisp base
- Offers excellent heat retention to cook pizzas faster
- Comes ready to use and doesn’t require seasoning
- Doesn’t give off any nasty smells, even when new
- They’re about 1/3rd of the price of the Big Green Egg pizza stone
- Far more durable than the Weber pizza stone
- Certified safe by the FDA and European Union
Cons of the Cast Elegance Pizza Stone
Our Verdict on the Cast Elegance Pizza Stone
We love the Cast Elegance pizza stone because it offers the strength, durability and variability that’s needed to cook inside or outside without worrying about damaging or breaking your stone. And, it seems that many people agree because there’s numerous independent reviews of this stone online that are all excellent.
We also love that it’s actually been certified as safe to use for cooking by the FDA and it doesn’t give off those nasty, toxic smells that some other pizza stones create.
In terms of cooking results, the Cast Elegance pizza stone by far makes the most authentic tasting pizzas that you’d be convinced were cooked in a brick-style oven. And, at a third of the price of other quality pizza stones for the grill, you really can’t go wrong!
The Best Pizza Stone for the Grill
After reviewing the top 4 pizza stones for the grill, the Cast Elegance pizza stone stands out as not only being the best product, but also the best priced. Made from high-heat resistant thermarite, it’s able to handle extreme changes in temperature without cracking or breaking. For us, this alone distinguishes it as being far ahead of the competition which all do report some limitations in terms of using over direct, high-heat as you’ll be doing when cooking a pizza over the grill or in an outdoor oven.
Nevertheless, the Cast Elegance pizza stone continues to impress offering excellent heat retention and moisture absorbing capabilities for a hot and crispy pizza. And, because it doesn’t give off any nasty smells when new or need any sort of seasoning, all you need to do is take it out of the box and cook your first authentically grilled pizza!